Saturday, September 26, 2009

trailers and pity


The other day I saw a movie trailer, it was one of those rags to riches, freedom writers, Sandra Bullock, tear jerking kinds of trailers...and if the trailer is that way imagine the movie. In one point the "high risk youth" brought in by Sandra says while looking at his new room, "I've never had one of these." She responds, "What? A room to yourself?" and he says,"no, a bed." In that moment people think, wow, I'm so lucky(blessed, fortunate...take your pick of words here). The problem I had in that moment was, I know that kid. I've played ball with him, talked with him, hugged her, she taught me to dance, he bonded with me over laffy taffy and we played so many games of dodgeball I can't even count. Their names are Reggie, Willie, Quataysha, Quadre, SharVonte, Michael, Roneesha, Djevante, Isaiah and Iverson...the list could go on for pages. The Lord teaches me through them and my heart breaks deeply for each one. I'm not willing to see the sadness in their eyes anymore, but I'm not willing to deny it. I'm past asking why and am to the point where I wonder if know why would even help. I don't think it would. But rather than asking why, let's do something. Let's be so deeply invested in their lives that we know why for each individual circumstance and love these incredible youth in the singular...in the here and now as if they were the only one's in the room. Don't feel sad or sorry or hopeless for these youth...they don't need that. They need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment