Friday, September 18, 2009

Fresh as Fall

I knew it the day the pumpkin spice latte arrived at Starbucks...fall is coming and there is no escaping it. With a new season comes a fresh change of pace, I love it. The leaves turn, sweatshirts make their appearance, hot drinks are refreshing again and life seems to calm down...kind of.
Change is beautiful and college is full of it. It's organic and good and what we are made for. Being at this place in school and life in general is odd to participate in and step back to watch. Watching people change, see the surroundings change, people wishing for something new and exciting while longing for stability all the same and most interestingly realizing your own desires changing. What do we do with that? I don't like it. I like it. I hope for it. I resist it. I stare it in the face. I close my eyes and hope it doesn't see me. Then I realize change is what makes me more of the woman God created me to be. I change. God doesn't. That's how it works and I'm not sure why I always seem to assume that everyone else can change but me. False. and wonderful...I'm learning to love the transition stage. Besides, if you can't beat 'em(which I can't, I tried) join 'em!
What do I do this summer? youthoworks? Summer project? home? internship? the possibilities are endless!
What do I do with my life? Portland? Youth ministry? Youthworks? Social services? lunch lady? The possibilities are endless!
As I process not only these two questions but so much more which I'm sure you will hear about soon...I think of a Donald Miller quote that I love and is my prayer for both of us---
"My prayer is that your story will involve some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter, some roses blooming out like children in play. My hope is that your story will be about change, about getting something beautiful born inside yourself."

2 comments:

  1. It has to be lunch lady. we have to return to Hyde County as certified lunch ladies. We're garenteed a job. We already know how to keep it clean! (and that the stove burners need to remain on, and that the fridge's and freezer's doors open out, etc.)

    Also, this explains the excited text about the Starbucks drink. : )

    ReplyDelete