Sunday, October 24, 2010

Take Notice

Stop. Look around. Take notice. What's going on around you? Who is close to you? What are you thinking about? One thing? 100 things? How was your morning? Who have you seen today? What's important to you today?

Today we sang "Beautiful" by Phil Wickham. The first three sections start with "I see you..." and end with "you're beautiful." I see you in the sunrise. I see you in the moonlit night. I see your bride come together. You're beautiful. It's about taking notice and acknowledging our source. What would happen if we were a people who took notice? Some of the best conversations happen when we notice. We see the funniest things when we notice. We feel important when we are noticed. It's loving in the moment and possibly one of the most powerful things you can do.

We see Paul (acts 17) taking notice to the people of athens and that is how he begins to share the gospel with a "deeply religious people."

Do you have a friend who just points things out all the time or remembers the little details you didn't even tell them? It's astonishing sometimes. What a gift!

What happens when we notice? We see beauty. We invest. We look beyond ourselves. We acknowledge who is in control and that it isn't about me.

What happens when we don't notice? We see ourselves. We become steeped in our circumstances. We lose a sense of hope. We don't serve others.

I'm not always great at taking notice. Sometimes I don't remember peoples names and I don't remember who had a test when and I get distracted by whatever I just came from or to where I am going...
My prayer lately has been to be a friend, daughter and sister who takes notice. I want the people around me to feel important and to know that when people walk by in their world and don't notice that someone does. It's about loving them.

My Savior noticed me. He noticed my sin problem and my family life and my wonderful friends and my surroundings. He doesn't just notice me...his thoughts about me outnumber the grains of sand. My Savior loves me. And He takes notice of you too. And his thoughts of you are more than the stars in the sky and He takes delight in you. I pray you believe that and that we together can take notice and be a picture of our Savior to a world distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment