Thursday, June 3, 2010

sometimes?

Sometimes it rains. Sometimes I don't wear shoes. Sometimes coffee makes the whole day better. Sometimes laughing is all that we need. Sometimes we give things up because the return is better. Sometimes we dig our heals in.

I read 1 Samuel 15 the other day...all about Samuel and Saul...moral: Saul is arrogant and Samuel is diligently obedient. Both believe with everything they are making a sacrifice-a sacrifice for God. It's funny the way we are willing to sacrifice if we know there is a bigger and better reward. But is that really sacrifice? Sure, we are giving something up aka sacrificing something but is it true and total sacrifice if we are looking for reward? Wouldn't that just be waiting?

I wonder if sacrifice isn't more about the heart and less about the eventual gain. Motivation that comes out of a genuine desire to please God whether rewarded or not rather than a motivation to see something better in place of what we are sacrificing.
(DISCLAIMER: I fully believe God gives good gifts and when we are in seasons of waiting or when no is the answer there is a better plan in store always because God is a good God. I am talking about the condition of our hearts ...)

I'll speak for myself now: I had plans this summer. I had plans for the upcoming year. My plan did anything but work out. And what my plan was included sacrifice. Sacrifice of time with friends, family, relaxation, safety, comfort, normalcy...it was an exciting plan with lots of adventure and "sacrifice." This plan I'm living now...the plan I was not excited about but the plan I was meant for is sacrifice of my immediate desires. I struggle with it most days because I want what I want but I'm living what God wants and learning that, as my devotional said today, sometimes obedience is the sacrifice.

So then this begs the question: is it obedience without sacrifice? Is sacrificial obedience my goal if all I'm looking for is something to replace what I gave up? Am I obeying...at the core of all?

*Enjoying the adventure of this summer*

No comments:

Post a Comment