Sunday, June 27, 2010

But I want it...

Psalm 23 is an ever present theme this summer it seems...the newest thought on it rests in line one: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want."

When I think of being "in want" I think of material possessions or a state of being. I want a new pair of toms or to always have clear direction. My summer is full of embracing a new phase. This is brand new territory each day and it's easy to be "in want" over a phase in life. I want to be doing missions or married or to see where my future is headed...I am "in want" over things that make me "enough." None of those are bad things...in fact they are enjoyable things, but they aren't everything. The pastor of my church asked the congregation last Sunday to fill in the blank, "The thing about __________ is, although it is a wonderful thing, if I am not enough without it, I will never be enough with it." I wonder if that blank could be a season or phase or point in life rather than just a possession or person.

So in order to be free from "want" I must first identify what is holding me. I pray you would join me in this pursuit to live in the freedom that was bought for us and the beautiful life that is painted in Psalm 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment