Saturday, January 2, 2010

Grace Like Rain

I recently found something I wrote this summer, in the midst of the hardest 3 months of my life. here it is:

Grace like rain. We sing it every thursday. It took on a new meaning today. I sat in the laundromat as I spend every friday, connecting back home and enjoying my first moment alone since last friday. I listen to clothes spinning, people chatting and quarters clinking. As I glance outside between loads I notice the torrential rain. It beats endlessly against the pavement. I couldn't help but think "grace like rain." I don't think it was a summer sprinkle the writer was referring to. I think it was much like this--unavoidable, powerful and refreshing. Every person stood in awe of the rain, secretly wanting to run outside and drench themselves in the flood. I wonder if we lived like we were slopping wet in grace if people would stand in awe and have to absolutely submit to this crazy desire to run outside too.

3 comments:

  1. this is good stuff Katy, very insightful, very soul penetrating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you driving through that rain... that summer, in NC, I saw some of the hardest, thickest rains I've ever seen. It simply screamed an insane invitation to dance and sing in the rain. Thanks for giving the grace of God a new picture, a bigger picture, that invites us in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really beautiful Katy. i don't think I'll ever forget those rains!

    ReplyDelete